Law Commission Consultation on Rights to Light
Further to the Consultation that took place in the Spring of 2013 'Rights to Light' was included in the Law Commission's 12th Programme of Law Reform. To read the PLA response to the consultation click here. A final report and draft bill was published on 4 December 2014 and a government response is awaited to the Law Commission's proposals. The PLA worked with the RICS on finalising a practical guidance note for surveyors dealing with rights to light.
Following the Ministry of Justice’s response to the consultation, Transforming Bailiff Action, the law on distress will be abolished and Commercial Rent Arrears Recovery (CRAR) will come into force 6 April 2014, by implementing Part 3 of the Tribunals Courts and Enforcement Act.
Electronic Communications Code Reform
In 2013 the Law Commission published its report on reform of the Electronic Communications Code and in so doing recommended a complete re-draft. To read a PLA summary of the key recommendations contained in the report click here.
PLA County Courts Survey
Following the success of the Central London County Court Users’ Group the LRC surveyed PLA members about their experiences of their local court(s).
Any comments in respect of County Courts should be addressed to Stuart Wortley.
Service Charge Code
The LRC commented on the Draft Service Charges in Commercial Property (Code of Practice) and liaised with the RICS in this regard, directing its comments towards the Dispute Resolution and ADR provisions.
PACT Scheme for 1954 Act Renewals
The PLA Law Reform Committee liaised with the RICS in respect of the PACT scheme for 1954 Act Renewals.
The PLA worked with the RICS Dilapidations Forum Steering Group and the Civil Justice Council over many years and was instrumental in the Protocol finally being adopted in January 2012.
EARLIER WORK UNDERTAKEN BY THE LAW REFORM COMMITTEE:
- Business Lease Renewals
- Commonhold and Leasehold Reform (2002)
- CPR and Part II of the 1954 Act
- Easements, Covenants and Profits a Prendre (2008)
- Enforcements: Distress for Rent, A Single Piece of Bailiff Law and a Regulatory Structure for Enforcement) (2001)
- First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) Rules (2012)
- General Pre-Action Protocol (2008)
- General Review of Property Law (DCLG)
- Housing Law Reform (2002)
- Land Assembly’s Proposed Review of Service Charges in London (2011)
- Land, Valuation and Housing Tribunals
- Law on Alienation of Leases
- Law on Easements
- Law of Enfranchisements
- Leashold Enfranchisement
- Post-Action Protocol for cases under Part II of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954
- Registration of new Town or Village Greens (2011)
- Squatting (2011)
- Transforming Bailiff Action (2013)
- Tribunal Procedure (Upper Tribunal) (Lands Chamber) Rules (2012)
To view PLA responses to law reform consultations go to Resources / Consultations.