About the PLA
The Property Litigation Association (PLA) is a members' organisation established in 1995 for legal professionals specialising in all aspects of commercial, residential and agricultural property litigation.
We organise member training and events, distribute news and thought leadership, publish case reviews, provide expert opinion and campaign for improvements in property law.
Our objectives are:
- to promote specialist property litigation skills within the property industry and among others with interest in property;
- to provide an active member network for the exchange of information;
- to promote education and training in property litigation;
- to serve as a public voice for property law through our media and public affairs campaigns.
About property litigation
By property litigation we mean the resolution of contentious property matters, including professional negligence claims relating to property transactions and advice, by means of litigation and other forms of dispute resolution.
Our success depends on the ideas and involvement of our members. We regularly run surveys and consultations to capture member perspectives on specific topics, and members are welcome to contact us with questions and comments.
Our members come from law firms of all shapes and sizes across the UK and Ireland – from sole practitioners through to international law firms – and everyone is welcome. All current members of the PLA are listed in our Members Directory.
Judge Elizabeth Cooke, President of the PLA
Judge of the Upper Tribunal, Lands Chamber
Judge Elizabeth Cooke was appointed as President of the PLA in March 2022.
- Liz Peace CBE (2017-2022)
- Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury (1995-2017)
Rebecca Campbell, Vice Chair & Hon Secretary
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
020 3400 4791
Lindsey Whittle, Hon Treasurer
Trowers & Hamlins LLP
020 7423 8669 / 07929 746217
Chhavie Kapoor, Chair, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Committee
Mishcon de Reya
020 3321 6189
Tim Reid, Chair, Website & Marketing Committee
Hogan Lovells International LLP
020 7296 5873
Frances Richardson, Chair, Wellbeing Committee
Addleshaw Goddard LLP, London
Our regional members are vital to the PLA’s continued growth and success. PLA membership is organised into nine regional groups, with each providing their own training, support networks and opportunities to share best practise.
The Chair of our Regional Committee also sits on our Executive Committee, which meets on a monthly basis and ensures the voices of our regional members are heard.
- 2022 - 2023: Dellah Gilbert
- 2021 - 2022: Mathew Ditchburn
- 2020 – 2021: Gary Lawrenson
- 2019 – 2020: Kerry Glanville
- 2018 – 2019: Bryan Johnston
- 2017 – 2018: Martin Edwards
- 2016 – 2017: Alison Hardy
- 2015 – 2016: Keith Conway
- 2014 – 2015: Louise Clark
- 2013 – 2014: Jonathan Ross
- 2012 – 2013: Daniel Levy
- 2011 – 2012: Paul Greatholder
- 2010 – 2011: Jacqui Joyce
- 2009 – 2010: Joanna Lampert
- 2008 – 2009: Neil Benson
- 2007 – 2008: Tim Fogarty
- 2006 – 2007: Stuart Wortley
- 2005 – 2006: John Hewitt
- 2004 – 2005: Antony Phillips
- 2003 – 2004: Jason Hunter
- 2002 – 2003: Ian Brierley
- 2001 – 2002: Jeremy Grose
- 2000 – 2001: Matthew Marsh
- 1999 – 2000: Iain Travers
- 1998 – 1999: Rob Highmore
- 1997 – 1998: Katie Bradford
- 1996 – 1997: Chris Hancock
- 1995 – 1996: Ron Hogan
In order to strengthen our links with academia and promote the area of property litigation as a career choice for undergraduates, the PLA offers Associate Membership to academics specialising in property law.
Academic members as at October 2022
- Prof Susan Bright, University of Oxford
- Chris Bevan, Durham University
- Emily Carroll, Birmingham Law School
- Prof Simon Cooper, Aston University
- Prof Martin Dixon, University of Cambridge
- Amy Goymour, University of Cambridge
- Prof Michael Haley, Keele University
- Prof Nick Hopkins, University of Reading
- James Lee, King’s College, London
- Dr Emma Lees, University of Cambridge
- Prof Sarah Nield, University of Southampton
- Dr Brian Sloan, University of Cambridge
- Dr Lisa Whitehouse, Hull University
Since 2015, we have offered Honorary Membership to leading property lawyers who have made an outstanding contribution to the Association. Honorary Membership is limited to one or two appointments per year and only awarded to exceptional candidates.
- Sheriff Craig
- Deputy Master Marsh
- Nicholas Dowding QC
- Wendy Miller
- Katie Bradford
- Jeremy Hudson
- Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, President of the PLA for some 20 years
- Vivien King
- Suzanne Lloyd Holt
Latest news from the PLA
30th Nov 2023The PLA has appointed Chhavie Kapoor, a Mishcon de Reya Partner specialising in real estate disputes, as Chair of its new committee to promote equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) within its membership of 1,600 property law professionals.Read article
22nd Nov 2023The PLA Annual General Meeting 2022 was held on 22 November 2023 at 7pm at Ironmongers’ Hall Shaftesbury Place, Barbican, London EC2Y 8AA. The minutes, unaudited accounts and amended Articles of Association following the meeting are available here.Read article
30th Nov 2023The PLA Wellbeing survey 2023 was run four years after our initial survey in 2019 and has shown interesting comparisons. We also asked some specific questions this time about the impact of Covid 19.Read article
10th Nov 2023This November marks the completion of Dellah Gilbert's one-year tenure as Chair of the PLA. Read her outgoing blog to members.Read article